I can’t believe it! Only two months and 10 weeks until I farewell my family and spend four wonderful months in Italy, the motherland of food. I’m bursting with excitement, and constantly fantasising about the day my mother drives me to the airport.
She’ll be hyperventilating - tearing up at the thought of not having me at arms length. - understandably so - I’m the baby in the family, and of course, her favourite!. Once I prize myself from Mum’s arms, and wave her off … I’ll run into that airport, dragging my 32kg of luggage behind me, ready for an adventure of a lifetime!
So, lately, my cooking has been inspired by the anticipation of my Italian sabbatical. This morning I made Annie, and me the most amazing crepes! Not the typical nutella version with strawberries, but something fresher, lighter, and brighter! Buckwheat crepes with sliced mango, greek yoghurt, and toasted almond flakes … oh, and a generous swig of maple syrup! Without trying to sound too Nigella Lawson - just imagine a crisp, golden crepe, wrapped around slices of super sweet mango, and a generous dollop of cool yoghurt! It looked magnificent, and it tasted even better!
So cooks, go forth and show off your culinary skills with this taste sensation. I promise you’ll feel heathy, happy, and hungry for more!
Makes 12 crepes
1 ¼ cups buckwheat flour
3 large eggs
¼ cup sunflower oil, additional for fry pan
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 ¼ cups water
¼ tsp. salt
3 large mangoes, peeled, sliced
Greek yoghurt to serve
¾ cup almond flakes, toasted, to serve
Maple syrup to serve
1. Place flour in a medium bowl, whisk in eggs, ¼ cup oil, water, milk and salt
2. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours
3. Heat a 10 inch-diameter fry pan to a medium-high heat. Brush pan with oil and add ¼ cup batter to fry pan, tilt coat bottom
4. Cook crepe until golden on bottom, adjusting heat to prevent burning, 30 to 45 seconds. Using spatula, turn crepe over; cook 30 seconds. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining batter. Stack crepes between sheets of non-stick baking paper
5. To serve, place 2 pieces of mango in one crepe and roll it up. Repeat and top both crepes with 1 big dollop of yoghurt, a tbsp. of toasted almond flakes and maple syrup. Dig in!